Sponsored by the News Literacy Project, this event is designed to build awareness about misinformation and build critical thinking skills around what we experience online. We’ve been sharing tools all week. Here’s a summary in case you missed something or want to revisit. We are highlighting some of The News Literacy Project’s valuable resources here. But, be sure you investigate all their resources available to everyone, not just students here.
Evaluate Your News Literacy Skills
Challenge others to a News Literacy Duel. Compare scores and see who wins. Then, look to the tools below to improve your scores and build your News Literacy Toolkit.
- Test your News Literacy Fitness
- Take the Quiz: How News Literate Are You?
- Take the Quiz: Should You Share It?
- Take the Quiz: Fighting Falsehoods on Social Media
- Take the Quiz: Can You Make Sense of Data
- The Easiest Quiz of All Time
Build Your News Literacy Toolkit
- Add a fact checker to your media feed. Here are a few we use often. Many of these are available across multiple platforms Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, etc. Look for them where you spend the most time online.
- MediaWise Follow them on Instagram here @mediawise
- Snopes Make sure to look at their TikTok tab. Follow them on Instagram here @snopesdotcom
- Politifact Follow them on Instagram @politifact on Instagram
- Build your News Literacy Skills. The News Literacy Project has a great set of infographics that deliver quick visual tools. We use these often:
- Types of Bias
- Sanitize Before You Share
- Speak up without a showdown
- Where on Earth
- Balance your consumption of media and challenge some of your biases in a good way. We like these that look at news from multiple angles:
- AllSides News provides balanced news, diverse perspectives, and real conversation.
- FlipSide Archive archived topics for The FlipSide daily email that provides thoughtful points from the left, right, and in-between across 30+ news sources.
- ProCon Sponsored by Britannica this provides balanced reporting on an indexed set of topics